Pages

Monday, May 21, 2012

Early support services

A lot has been going on in our neck of the woods, and I know an update is owed. Tomorrow is a big day for us. I am taking off work, and Jordan and I are taking Henry to be evaluated by our local Early Intervention agency for speech and language development. He will be 17 months old at the end of the month, and at his 15 month appointment, his doc was concerned that his speech was delayed, and just to be on the safe side, referred us to early intervention. He doesn't think there is a huge problem, but he said he would be doing us a "disservice" by NOT referring us.

As a first time mom, of course I was nervous. We don't want anything to be wrong with our little ones, but I wouldn't be doing my job by ignoring it, or even lying to the doctor what we have seen Henry do at home. I just think his development has always been on the later end of "milestones." He did not crawl until he was 11 months old, and he is still not walking. But I believe he will get there in time. He is an observer, and maybe a little shy.

We already had our intake with Jamie, and tomorrow we are meeting with a physical therapist and a speech-language therapist. The evaluation is TWO HOURS! But the good news is that by the end of the evaluation we will find out if he is eligible for services, or not. I am glad we don't have to wait.

What result am I hoping for? I could go either way. If he is eligible and we continue to go for services, I look at it as a learning experience and we will meet great people to help us support H. And, it's free of charge for us! Can't beat that. If he is in-eligible, then we lose nothing, but gain some helpful activities to do with H to help him be the best he is meant to be. And I got a day off work to spend with my boys at home! What more can a working mama ask for? :)

Have any of your little ones needed extra support services yet? How did you feel when the doctor told you this?

I'll let you know what we find out. Now it's bedtime for this lady!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...